Windows, streets, gateways, and more doors

On my last visit to the Old Town, I started taking pictures of windows.










This next one made me laugh: a non-window. There's no way onto the balcony. Perhaps there was a round window once.


But I soon abandoned my focus on fenestration (I've always wanted an excuse to use that word!). There were doors, entryways, balconies!



(Beth was so taken with this little house, which is for sale, that she looked it up. Two bedrooms, loaded with charm, and yours for a cool half-million.)



Everywhere you look, there's a jaw-dropping architectural detail. Some of the photo-worthy bits I saw are on  hotels, inns, and churches, one was a government building (Spanish government, that is), and some are on private homes. Some date to late in the first Spanish period (1565-1763), though those have been altered and/or added onto. Some were built later, some when this was a Gilded Age winter playground, and some are just built in a vaguely Spanish style.  All are wonderful!





The beauty isn't just in the buildings; the streets are interesting, too. Many are brick. A few are so narrow (and two-way!) it's a wonder cars can make it.






On one corner, a big papyrus plant made wonderful shadows on the pavement.


Aviles Street is the oldest street in the U.S., laid out in the 1570s. Our favorite old houses are on it, and so is a new favorite restaurant, to say nothing of what are surely the world's largest and most delicious ice-cream cookie sandwiches. I was counting on one for lunch, but the shop was closed. I had to settle for a Cuban beef enchilada and cafe con leche. Poor me!


So it's goodbye, St. Augustine. It's been great. On to the Gulf coast to see what mischief I can get into there!


Comments